Gilcrease Museum is temporarily closed for construction.

Get the Full Story

Manuscript Collection: Luke Fox

Collection Overview

Collection summary derived from "Guidebook to Manuscripts", 1969: The inscription, "This is the Traverse Book of some of the officers on board the Charles, Captain Luke Fox, who was sent in quest of a NW Passage in the year 1631. Wm. Herbert," is found on the inside page of Vol. I, known as "Yourin's Journall," No. 13314 in Phillipps' catalog. Vol. II, No. 20994 in Phillipps' catalog, begins: "Toward the Northwest, April 1631. In the Name of God, Amen. After much ado to attend the Trinity Master for our Provision, we weighed anchor in the Pool upon Thursday the 28th of this present [April], the wind presently falling calm." Captain Luke Fox (1586-1635) was an explorer and navigator. This is the original autographed journal and log of his voyage of 1631 in quest of the Northwest Passage. The manuscript contained in these two volumes is the basis of volumes No. 88 and 89 of the Hakluyt Society publications. They were edited and published in 1894 by Miller Christy and contain accounts of other explorers also.

Thomas Gilcrease Library and Archive
2 items
CSV file

Our Online Collections site is a work in progress. If you have information about this item that may be of assistance, please contact us.

Access Restrictions

Available by appointment only at the Helmerich Center for American Research (HCAR) with the exception of materials with donor restrictions. Contact Library staff in advance to inquire if materials exist pertaining to your research interests.

Use Restrictions

Please contact the Rights and Reproduction Department for information on publishing or reproducing materials included in these records. Permission will be granted by the Gilcrease Museum as the owner of the physical materials, and does not imply permission from the copyright holder. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all necessary permissions from the copyright holder.


The Gilcrease Foundation acquired these materials before 1964 and is housed in the Helmerich Center for American Research (HCAR). The library currently receives most materials through community donation, board members, artists and the acquisition of manuscript collections.

Staff, interns, and volunteers of the Thomas Gilcrease Library and Archive have contributed to the organization and maintenance of the files since the collection passed to the City of Tulsa in the 1950s.