Gilcrease Museum is temporarily closed for construction.

Get the Full Story

Manuscript Collection: Phillip Cole Collection

Collection Overview

(Biographical material and acquisitions list added in 1967). Collection summary derived from "Guidebook to Manuscripts", 1969: The Journal of the 7th Cavalry's Yellowstone Expedition of 1876, correspondence with Theodore W. Goldin, E. A. Brininstool, and others comprise this collection. (See also Benteen-Goldin letters under "Benteen.") Dr. Cole (c.1890-1940), a retired physician, and former president of A. Schrader and Sons Manufacturing Company, lived in Tarrytown, New York, on the Cole estate, Zeeview. He was born at Helena, Montana, and graduated from Princeton and the Columbia Medical College. The Cole collection, which comprises a large part of the Gilcrease Collection, was sold to Mr. Gilcrease by Mrs. Cole after the death of her husband in 1940. Interesting item: One letter in this collection was penned by Theodore Goldin, survivor of the Custer expedition, to Dr. Cole promising the Cole children a story. Another letter followed in which Goldin enclosed the story, "A Winter's Raid," pertaining to the raid of the 7th Cavalry under Major Reno.

Thomas Gilcrease Library and Archive
1876 - 1937
CSV file

Our Online Collections site is a work in progress. If you have information about this item that may be of assistance, please contact us.

Access Restrictions

Available by appointment only at the Helmerich Center for American Research (HCAR) with the exception of materials with donor restrictions. Contact Library staff in advance to inquire if materials exist pertaining to your research interests.

Use Restrictions

Please contact the Rights and Reproduction Department for information on publishing or reproducing materials included in these records. Permission will be granted by the Gilcrease Museum as the owner of the physical materials, and does not imply permission from the copyright holder. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all necessary permissions from the copyright holder.


The Gilcrease Foundation acquired these materials before 1964 and is housed in the Helmerich Center for American Research (HCAR). The library currently receives most materials through community donation, board members, artists and the acquisition of manuscript collections.

Staff, interns, and volunteers of the Thomas Gilcrease Library and Archive have contributed to the organization and maintenance of the files since the collection passed to the City of Tulsa in the 1950s.