Gilcrease Museum is temporarily closed for construction.

Get the Full Story

Manuscript Collection: Thomas S. Jesup

Collection Overview

Collection summary derived from "Guidebook to Manuscripts", 1969: These letters deal with various matters concerning the Creeks in Georgia, Alabama, and Florida. In August, 1836, Henry Stanton, Adjutant-General from Headquarters Army of the South, Tuskegee, signs an order of Major General Thomas S. Jesup (1788-1860) appointing Colonel John A. Campbell as Commissioner to treat with the chiefs of the Creeks and help them with their land claims. In another letter, Jesup requests more troops for Major Dear born to prevent the hostile Creeks from leaving Florida to return to Georgia and Alabama. In September of that same year, Jesup assured the chiefs of the Upper Creeks that Major Freeman and Captain Boyd would see that they arrived safely and comfortably at their new home in the West.

Thomas Gilcrease Library and Archive
1836 - 1837
CSV file

Our Online Collections site is a work in progress. If you have information about this item that may be of assistance, please contact us.

Access Restrictions

Available by appointment only at the Helmerich Center for American Research (HCAR) with the exception of materials with donor restrictions. Contact Library staff in advance to inquire if materials exist pertaining to your research interests.

Use Restrictions

Please contact the Rights and Reproduction Department for information on publishing or reproducing materials included in these records. Permission will be granted by the Gilcrease Museum as the owner of the physical materials, and does not imply permission from the copyright holder. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain all necessary permissions from the copyright holder.


The Gilcrease Foundation acquired these materials before 1964 and is housed in the Helmerich Center for American Research (HCAR). The library currently receives most materials through community donation, board members, artists and the acquisition of manuscript collections.

Staff, interns, and volunteers of the Thomas Gilcrease Library and Archive have contributed to the organization and maintenance of the files since the collection passed to the City of Tulsa in the 1950s.